From the NFL, to VR, to Dublin – join Akim & 30,000 more in Dublin.
Akim Millington has a great story to tell. A hugely successful college football player and track athlete, he then went on to play in the NFL with the New Orleans Saints before his career was cruelly cut short by injury. He’s now the Director of Virtual Reality Sports & Entertainment at Next Galaxy Corp – a fully immersive consumer VR technology. Akim will speak at Sport Summit, along with Next Galaxy Founder Mary Spio about the opportunities and possibilities VR can bring to sport.
From the NFL to Next Galaxy & VR – how did it happen?
I’ve always been a fan of technology from as far back as I can remember. After I retired from the NFL due to a career-ending injury, I wanted to be a conduit in bridging sports and technology so I started my own tech company where I brought the best technology to professional athletes and sports celebrities. I was involved with the development and bringing smartwatches and other wearable devices to market. These roles truly prepared me for what I am doing at Next Galaxy today.
VR is moving so fast – if Next Galaxy could achieve just one thing in the next 12 months what would it be?
GET ON NASDAQ!
I see on Twitter you met up with Palmer Luckey – what three people have influenced you the most over the past 12 months?
1. First and foremost I’d say Mary Spio: just working alongside her and sharing the same vision pertaining to VR and its future.
2. My Mother Valarie: she’s always been my inspiration as well as a source of strength.
3. My Cousin Ron Millington: again one of my biggest supporters from day one.
You can invite five people to a meal – who are they?
Elon Musk, Richard Branson, Mark Zuckerberg, Palmer Luckey, Larry Page. These are all people who have come up with transformative technologies. I’d love to understand their process and see what we can do collectively to further impact the world.
Have you ever heard of Hurling? Will you play a bit of hurling when you come over to Ireland?
Hurling, wow! I’ve checked out a couple videos and it’s very exhilarating. I’m a competitor at heart so I’d love to get a shot and try my hand at it when possible.
Three people you’re excited to meet at Web Summit
1. Nas: I’ve been a longtime fan of his work, it’ll be exciting to meet him. I’m sure we’ll have a lot to discuss.
2. Mike Schroepfer: he heads the most transformative company in the world. I’d love to get his insight on what it takes to be the best.
3. Palmer Luckey, I think what he’s done with Oculus is really cool.